As part of Rebel's ongoing commitment to enable access to a more secure internet, we are pleased to announce that all of our hosting plans that are powered by Plesk now include free SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt.
What are SSL Certificates?
SSL (secure socket layer) Certificates are small data files that digitally bind a cryptographic key to an organization's details. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser.
How do SSL Certificates make the internet more secure?
Typically, SSL is used to secure credit card transactions, data transfer and logins, and more recently is becoming the norm when securing browsing of social media sites.
SSL Certificates are used:
- To secure online credit card transactions;
- To secure system logins and any sensitive information exchanged online;
- To secure webmail and applications like Outlook Web Access, Exchange and Office Communications Server;
- To secure workflow and virtualization applications like Citrix Delivery Platforms or cloud-based computing platforms;
- To secure the connection between an email client such as Microsoft Outlook and an email server such as Microsoft Exchange;
- To secure the transfer of files over https and FTP(s) services, such as website owners updating new pages to their websites or transferring large files;
- To secure hosting control panel logins and activity like Parallels, cPanel, and others;
- To secure intranet based traffic such as internal networks, file sharing, extranets, and database connections;
- To secure network logins and other network traffic with SSL VPNs such as VPN Access Servers or applications like the Citrix Access Gateway.
What is Let's Encrypt?
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA), run for the public’s benefit. It is a service provided by the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG).
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
Take advantage of the security a free SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt can offer you and your customers with Rebel hosting packages powered by Plesk.