Buying a .CA domain for your business or burger blog does more than just get you online.
With every .CA domain you buy, you're helping to build a better internet in Canada. How, you ask? It's all thanks to the Community Investment Program, run by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA).
Building a Better Online Canada
The Community Investment Program gives back by funding innovative community projects to build a stronger, safer and more accessible internet for all Canadians. The program has built new infrastructure, helped grow Canada’s capacity in media literacy, enabled non-profits to deliver online services and academic researchers to address emerging digital issues.
Through this program, CIRA has supported 130 innovative projects across Canada for a total of $5.45 million. And now you can apply to get in on this sweet action, too.
Who Can Get Funded?
Here's the type of projects that CIRA is looking for:
- Infrastructure: Developing connectivity services for regional, rural, remote and/or underserved communities
- Access: Providing individuals and communities with the ability to connect to the internet
- Digital Literacy: Enhancing Canadians’ knowledge and skills to use the internet effectively and safely
- Engagement: Research and knowledge-sharing activities that broaden public understanding and participation in internet policy development, governance and cybersecurity
- Services: Building online apps and platforms that address social, economic and/or environmental needs
Grants are available up to $100,000. In addition, one grant will be available up to $250,000. Applications will be accepted starting January 15, 2019.
Don't Have a Project?
Hey, no worries - you can still support the Community Investment Program by buying a .CA domain. It's an effective way to pay it forward, and us friendly folks at Rebel have made it even easier: right now, you can get a .CA domain for only $4.50!
Get inspired by looking through some of the previous projects that have been funded through this unique program.
Subscribe to Rebel.com Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox